Saturday, August 04, 2012

WoW Confessions


   I have been playing World of Warcraft for nearly 7 years now, since October of 2005. I've been a lot of places and seen a lot of strange and interesting things, but there are also so many things I have never done and never bothered to find out about. My kiddo is a total lore nerdette, but while I live for questing and enjoy what comes my way-I'm not one to seek out extra information.
   The way I see my characters are as extras in the movies. When you watch a fantasy, medieval setting film, the castle is always bustling with folks who are cooking food for the knights or making their clothes. And even Robin Hood had many more "Merry Men" than just Little John and Will Scarlet.
 
 I play this game to set out and quest, whether it is helping the local farmer with some nasty trouble making critters, to eventually taking down one of the lesser demons or dragons that is terrorizing the countryside. What I don't do is take it to the next level. I have never felt the need to be the BIG HERO. To take down the biggest of the baddies. But I am still adventuring and having fun doing it.

   So, inspired by Twitter, which I recently joined, here are a list of my World of Warcraft #confessions:

1. I have never done a raid *at* level. Sure, I venture in to some of those places when I am much higher level and the fights aren't really fair, just to see them. But never with tons of people that I don't know.

2. I have not done a 5man dungeon *at* level since Classic. And the ones in classic were enough to scare me away from ever wanting to interact with other players ever again. And that was at least 6 years ago. You try healing a warrior in BRD who wants to tank while dual-wielding daggers. And then get berated for not being able to do so successfully. No, just no.

3. I have no clue who this Wrathion is that people keep talking about now on the forums. And I don't feel like looking it up, because it probably won't affect me in the slightest.

4. I have never done arenas.  I despise PvP, I tolerate it for some things at best-as long as the battleground is Alterac Valley. Being one crappy player among 40 is easier to get by than one in ten or fifteen. I refuse to ruin other people's games, so I will not waste their time by being the "baddie" making that team lose.

5. I have never attacked an opposing factions guards. As young Horde, we wandered into Astraanar back before we understood that the other guys would kill us on site. It was disturbing that we just wanted to pass by and cause no trouble and they just wanted to kill us. Early lesson learned. I avoid opposing faction cities like the, well, plague. The first guild I joined called me all kinds of things because I wouldn't help them raid Sentinal Hill in Westfall. Dropped them like a rock.

6. I am pretty sure I am a horrible player. And as they always say, "don't be 'that' guy". Alright, as long as I stay away from other players, I won't infect them with my badness or waste their time.

7. I refuse to post things on the auction house for more than I would pay for them. Really, 500g for a level 10 chest? Not a chance. 75g or more for glyphs, nope-I never post them for more than 25g. If I didn't have a Scribe on every realm to avoid paying through the nose, I would not pay more than 25g-I would rather go glyph-less.

8. I don't bother to gem or enchant most of my gear at 85.  Why should I?? The only things my 85s do is dailies and professions. Call me horrible if you /inspect me if you will, I don't really care-it doesn't affect anyone at all.


  Well, I think that's it for now-it's the only ones I can think of at the moment. I might post more if I think of them. So there you have it, thoughts from a TRUE casual!

No comments: